Sunday, July 22, 2012

Five things I am grateful for today

1. Waking up at 4:45 (without an alarm) in time to take a nice walk with Clover before the sun really warms things up.

2. Yesterday my friend, Cynthia, came over to hang around with me. As a "grown up", if I can be classified as such, it's rare to have friends who you just hang around with. Usually you meet for something, do that something, and part ways. I miss the spontaneous, see what happens sort of days that were so common when I was younger. I am lucky to have a couple of friends in Tucson, and a couple of others in faraway places with whom there doesn't have to be a plan to know fun will be had. So Cynthia came over, I made us this lunch:
(hummus, cucumber salad, a plate of blueberries, cherries and grapes, pita chips, pistachios, spirulina sunflower seeds and olives.)
And then we sat on the couch and watched the monsoon out the window and talked for a long time. Sometimes we talked and sometimes we just watched the heavy rain.
I really like the kinds of questions Cynthia asks: So what creative things are you into right now? How do you celebrate things? She's genuinely interested and also very insightful. It was a perfect afternoon.

3. Eric and I have the day off together today.

4. I'm reading The Help and it's so good I am having a hard time putting it down. Getting lost in a book is such a treat.

5. It's cloudy and we are supposed to have more monsoon goodness today.

6. I haven't had any fatigue this weekend.

7. Dinner last night was a recipe that I make on a regular basis. It's one that was made for me at a friend's house over and over when I was a kid. My mom's friend, Kris, was an awesome cook. A few years ago I asked her for her chicken and zucchini recipe and she shared it with me. I usually follow the recipe, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and put it on skewers with the veggies and either broil or grill it like the recipe says to do, but last night I felt lazy and cut the chicken breasts in half and baked them along with the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms. I don't know exactly why but I thought it was better than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment