Friday, December 7, 2012

Five (x2) things I am grateful for today

1. It's 3:40 am, I'm awake and not at all anxious about it. Wow. Thanks to Wendy for introducing me to the concept of First sleep and second sleep during a nice, long chat last weekend in which I was walking Clover and she was cooking healthy, delicious food for the week. Anyway, this is the first time since we talked that I've found myself awake for an extended period during the night. There is quite a sense of freedom in letting go of "the uninterrupted eight hour block" as the sleep ideal. I slept soundly from 9:30 until 2am, then woke up, read for awhile, made a list of important details that I could easily miss (one of my coworkers turns 50 next week, we need to plan some way to celebrate. Remember to bring nail clippers to a certain patient's home on Monday. Buy cauliflower tomorrow, etc.) and now am taking the time to write. It's funny because with the recent weeks of insomnia I've been waking up and feeling really frustrated/panicky about getting back to sleep. This concept frees me up from worrying and gives permission to really enjoy the time. After all, I complain a lot about rushing and right now, there is nowhere to go, nothing I have to do. All I can do is catch up on the things I find most relaxing. If you frequently wake up in the night for a couple of hours and then go back to sleep, this article is definitely worth your while. Thanks Wendy, you make my life better in so many ways!

2. Tonight we went out for Greek food. It was SO delicious! We shared spanakopita (okay, I mostly hogged it by taking a third of it to go for breakfast tomorrow) and E ordered a gyros platter and I had a steak and spinach salad.

3. After work I was feeling really stressed out and Eric took me for a walk around this little lake. It worked wonders.

4. Work went fairly smoothly.

5. Tomorrow something awesome is happening!

6. The mix cd Wendy made for me is so great!

7. I am really enjoying Anne Lamott's new book about prayer. It's simple and funny and profound and beautiful, like most of her writing.

8. Our house was cleaned by a friend of Eric's today. My favorite part is the way she organized the fridge. Oh, it is a sight to behold. If my bed weren't so cozy, I would go take a picture for you. Too bad.

9. I've been really indulging in fantasy gardening lately as I imagine the raised bed I want to create. I think it will be 3 or 4 feet x 10 feet, made of cinder blocks, and filled with organic dirt from this place in Tucson who delivers it by the cubic yard. And by "delivers it" I mean, they dump it on your driveway and you deal with it. Did you know that a cubic yard weighs about 1400 pounds? And I need a cubic yard and a half! Amazingly, a cubic yard of high quality, organic dirt is only 33 dollars plus delivery (delivery is 39 dollars). I'm used to buying a cubic foot for around five dollars, so this is a pretty awesome deal.

I'm planning to buy our seeds from Native Seed Search, here in Tucson. There are so many reasons to buy seeds from them: 1. They are a local nonprofit. 2. They sell seeds for plants that grow well in the Sonoran Desert, so many things do not fair well here. 3. I am also planning on choosing only open pollinators so we can save seeds from year to year. A lot of the seeds at Lowes/Home Depot are not open pollinators and therefore produce seeds that are infertile.

Now all I have to do is pick a weekend to dedicate to shoveling dirt into a wheelbarrow and hauling it to the backyard. Now seems like a good time to start some back strengthening practices! Maybe I'll do it the weekend before Christmas and make this a present to myself. P.S. I'm not opposed to hiring a strong helper, if you know anybody looking for a few hours of work! I'm trying to spare Eric on this one because he has done all of my other hard labor and deserves a break.

10. The house is fairly clean and my car is vacuumed. All that's left is washing Tiny Clover and the sheets!

Okay, time for second sleep. Ha! Night night.

1 comment: