Saturday, April 6, 2013

Five things and an update in photos

1. Eric bought Clover and me a really bright flashlight so if we walk after the sun goes down we'll be safer. It will also be nice for camping when I'm not using my headlamp.
2. Early morning walk with Tiny Clover
3. Thursday I taught the medical portion of the volunteer training to five new volunteers. I am passively working on getting more comfortable with public speaking. The effort is passive because I really don't like to do it yet find myself without a choice on an occasional basis (8-12x/year?) Anyway, I really enjoy doing volunteer training because it's my chance to teach "health care" as I think it should be taught: how good hand washing is a way to be kind to vulnerable people everywhere, what it means to care for the dying in a society that prefers to avoid talking about it altogether, and how to be kind to yourself in a multitude of difficult situations, why it is often most compassionate to gently let a dying patient not eat or drink, etc. Once I get into it I forget that it's public speaking because it just feels like an opportunity to share what is meaningful to me.
4. Tonight Eric and I are going to hang out and have a super time. I'm not sure what we're doing yet.
5. I met a really nice family in Green Valley this morning through my work.

Michael's art supplies:


Last night's painting--it's not actually done, I don't think. The process we were using involves painting layer after layer in different areas of the painting. I'm thinking I could have more fun with this. As you can see, this kind of painting is about just playing around and having fun.


Here's another photo of it, this one is taken outside.


Red leaf lettuce, romaine and sugar snap peas


Herbs: cilantro, thyme, oregano, lavender and sage


Our first peas


We found this rusty toy wheelbarrow left out for curbside pickup the other day. I would like to have a few small pots in it with flowers or something. We'll see.


The chicks


Last year's (or the year before? it's so hard to keep track) geraniums


Our first chile (I think it's a miniature bell pepper but it might be an ancho)


The cucumbers are sending out their first "real" leaves!


Here's the other cucumber plant:


One of our tomato plants is covered in flowers! Good thing the bees will arrive in two weeks to pollinate them!


Who can resist animals in party hats? Not me. Making lists on this paper will be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment