For New Year's I made Mama Leone's chicken soup with cornsticks and was left with buttermilk in my fridge. Last night E came home from work with a glass container full of one of his coworker's mama's homemade salsa. I woke up with these details on my mind and decided to make savory pancakes served with over medium eggs on top with salsa and avocado slices on top of that. It was heavenly. They were sort of crispy on the outside and soft on the inside soaking up the egg yolks and the salsa. Also they were beautiful but I forgot to take a picture!
Corncakes (enough for around four or five people)
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbs baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
some salt
1/2 cup grated extra sharp Tillamook cheddar
1/2 can green chiles
3 shallots sliced fine
I think these would rock even more with a handful or two of thawed frozen corn added to the batter.
So stir all that stuff up and cook them like pancakes. I kept them warm in the oven as I made them. Then, if you want to, cook your over medium eggs, put them on top of the corncakes, put the salsa and avocado slices on top of the pile and salt and pepper over that.
I am now scheming to make some of the leftover corncakes into a bottom crust for a beany, chickeny, green chile, enchilada-y sort of casserole. If that happens I'll keep you posted.
One thing I love about living in Tucson is that amazing Mexican food is always close by. Regularly E comes home from work with tortillas that were made fresh that afternoon in South Tucson. Also it seems like everybody's mama or abuela is sharing their homemade salsa, tamales, beans, tacos, or whatever. And then comes late summer when the grocery stores have fresh roasted green chiles. Those chiles make everything taste even better. Despite Saturday's tragedy I am still very grateful to live here, for so many reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment