Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lucky Seven Things I Am Grateful For Today

I have more things to list than I have time to write! I should probably be writing this after work instead of before, but I don't want to accidentally let all of these things slip by.

1. At work the other day I was with one of my favorite patients and asked if there was anything else he wanted to talk about and he responded, "well, there is but I know you are in a hurry." I asked why he thought that and he said, "it's how you're sitting." I wasn't aware that I was sitting at the edge of the couch, holding onto my bag as if I were just about to run out the door, but it was true. I am really grateful that he pointed this out to me so that I could lean back and show him that I was truly present and not about to leave. Once I leaned back I immediately relaxed, I didn't even know I was holding so much tension. I love it when others gently point out my blind spots. Since that visit I have been more conscious of my body language which is another level of mindfulness to bring to my patients. I try so hard to show them that I am deeply listening to them so this is an important insight that he shared.

2. I just finished a really awesome book by Tammy Strobel. It's about simplifying your life and being truly happy. It felt like a conversation with a kindred spirit all about prioritizing time and relationships over making money, buying things and going into debt. The book was about true freedom for the average American. This is a subject that I think about a lot and I try to be very intentional about my time and money. I feel very strongly that my choices can either free me up for what I enjoy or weigh me down and pull me away. This is why I don't buy a house, have an expensive car or shop as a hobby. Ideally I would rather spend less time working and more time riding my bike, volunteering, going to yoga, playing with friends, being outside, cooking whole foods and just plain relaxing. In order to do that I have to avoid the trap of thinking that buying things will make me happy, and remember that freedom from debt and not having to spend most of my time working are the soil that happiness grows in. Her emphasis on spending money on experiences as opposed to things also really resonated with me. The book was very inspiring, I would definitely recommend it.

3. Last night I went to a great yoga class with a teacher I hadn't seen in a couple of years. Monday I took my first Qigong class--it was a neat experience and I think I'll go back.

4. Tomorrow Mead and I leave for San Diego! Eric's friends are coming to visit for the weekend so Mead and I are heading to the beach. Yippee!

5. It snowed yesterday, right here in Tucson, Arizona! Here are a few pictures:
I hope my garden survives!

Clover is not a fan of snow.


6. I found out yesterday afternoon that I was accepted to Upaya Zen Center's Being With Dying Professional Training!

7. Also Sharon Salzberg is coming back to Tucson and leading a 2 day meditation retreat on the place of loving-kindness in spiritual practice. It will be March 2-3 and I am all signed up! (She's doing a one hour dharma talk on Friday night also. I think I am going to go with my dance teacher, Tama, and having dinner with her beforehand. Talk about an awesome Friday night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment