1. Last night I had the opportunity to take care of a patient in much the same situation as my dad was in, with death impending. His wife and two early-thirties children were at his bedside all night. I cared for them with my whole heart and all of my effort. They were receptive and grateful. It was deeply rewarding, and in a way that is difficult to explain, healing for me on a personal level. I realized that I am no longer in the stage of acute loss. My father is no longer dying. That time, those last days were so precious, and so excruciating. And now they are behind me. To give the family clear expectations about what to expect in the coming days, to clarify the doctor's progress notes and bring them the information, to get the patient in a comfortable position and actually have him sleep for two consecutive hours, to convince his wife that peanut butter and crackers and a glass of milk could really make her feel just a little bit better, those are the things that make it worth it. I did my best and I feel good about what I gave. So often I think, I should have done this or that, but not today, I feel satisfied with the care that I gave. It was the best of what I have inside me.
2. Seven glorious hours of sleep. (I usually only sleep four or five right after a shift.)
3. Sunset walk with RR, Gabrielle and Rico.
4. Date with my love: sushi and home to eat popcorn with garlic salt, butter and nutritional yeast and watch episodes of The Shield.
5. Rene is doing a really good job in her orientation. I feel really proud of her and the quality of her work.
Thanks for sharing. Especially that first one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading!
ReplyDelete