Friday, March 18, 2011

Five (or so) things I am grateful for today

1. A good day of work. I spent time with two wonderful families. The first patient's daughter is a special ed teacher at the school half a block from their house. She is one of those people that just emanates gentle kindness. I felt lucky to get to spend time with her and hear about why she loves the work she does. I so appreciate that I don't have to rush through my job--that I have time to get to know patients and their families a little. I also love that I work with one family at a time so I get to really focus on them and practice listening empathically.

2. Today I got to go to Nogales for the first time. I stayed on the Arizona side as I was there for work but even so it was a neat little adventure.

3. An awesome homemade red chile pork tamale given to me as a gift from a coworker

4. Appreciation from my clinical director for working all day in Nogales and Green Valley and doing a late admission (worked 13.5 hours today!) I can't believe how appreciative they are of me and my work.

5. As I spent more than three hours in my car today I had a chance to listen to an audio book that I started last year called Don't Bite the Hook by Pema Chodron. I highly recommend it. I was reminded about the option to not get worked up over small things as practice for not getting so worked up about the big ones. It really is a good book. Tomorrow I am doing a "tuck in" visit (we always do a second visit the day after an admission to see if they need anything or have any questions) for the patient in Green Valley. That means I get another hour and a half to listen to the audiobook!

6. Last night I went to a candle lit yoga class. It was super relaxing.

7. Also last night E and I had dinner together: mashed purple potatoes, healthy sausages, yummy veggies and a salad.

8. It's the weekend! Yippee! Tomorrow morning I'm getting a massage and then E and I are going out to lunch (on a date).

No comments:

Post a Comment