Our teacher, Sylvia, who I am lucky enough to call a friend, is also a nutrition expert and an amazing cook. The little bowl on the right is full of chia seeds soaked in water with a little bit of cinnamon. I watched Sylvia put cucumbers and tomatoes in her bowl with the soaked seeds and decided I would do the same even though the idea of cinnamon with tomatoes and cucumbers was a little bit scary to me. Turned out it was delicious!
Other items on the plate: sprouted rye toast with a little butter, an over easy egg, an Israeli salad of cucumbers and tomatoes, some cooked veggies: cabbage, carrots, kale, tomatoes, summer squash, etc. seasoned with turmeric--I think. There was rice cereal, walnuts, avocado slices, blueberries, and then there were the condiments! Sylvia put out several bowls of condiments to sprinkle on top of the food which I added liberally. There was zahtar or zatar, ground hemp seeds, dulse, special pink salt, and other seasonings in bottles I didn't even have a chance to look at.

It's difficult to put into words how much I enjoyed this meal, except to say that I am so very grateful to Sylvia not only for the nourishing food but also for the inspiration.
I have begun reading a book about the value and uses of chia seeds and am really amazed. I've been putting a couple of tablespoons into our green smoothies and am excited to use it in other ways. Chia seeds are full of omega 3 fatty acids which are great for brain function, heart health and all sorts of other things plus they are full of antioxidants, fiber and minerals. Also their flavor is pretty neutral so they can be added to many different kinds of recipes.
In the past I have enjoyed making a whole grain cereal and then adding all kinds of savory toppings: grated yam, grated carrot, cooked greens, sesame seeds, nuts, green onions, finely grated ginger, fresh cut herbs, soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos, sri racha, ground flax, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Today was a reminder that really, I can do whatever I want for breakfast and bringing the healthy things I love to the table more often would be fun and healthy. Thanks, Sylvia.
Seeing as we are discussing awesomeness, do you want to see a picture of Clover, my partner in blogging?
Oh she is SOOO cute! Mmm, love that furbaby!
No comments:
Post a Comment