Sunday, January 13, 2013

Five (+2) things I am grateful for today

1. E and I are celebrating my birthday this weekend! It seems we've chosen the coldest weekend of the year to do it and then drove to an even colder place, Bisbee, where the current temperature is 15 degrees and according to weather.com, it "feels like 8 degrees". Wow. We are having a great time anyway--yesterday we went had lunch at The Longhorn in Tombstone. It was awesome! We both ordered simple things (chicken salad for me and chicken tenders for E) but we were both really surprised by how good the food was.

2. We stopped near St. David and bought mesquite roasted pistachios from two farm stands. Then we had a blind taste test to figure out which we liked better. We think they are pretty much the same: both amazing.

3. Once we arrived in Bisbee, we unpacked our stuff and took a nap on the couch--E, Clover and I, all snuggled up. E and I have both been pretty stressed out lately, so it feels amazing to get to just hang around and relax.

4. After a couple hours of napping, I took Clover for a walk around town. Every person who drove by us smiled and waved. I LOVE BISBEE. There is even a little bit of snow on the ground, lovely.

5. Eric gave me my birthday present: The Essential Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter and Willow Rosenthal. I can't put it down, it's so good! Full of info and neat ideas.

6. For dinner we decided to stay in because we didn't want to brave the cold and had brought things with us. My sister-in-law once removed (close enough!) sent Eric and me a basket of yummy treats for Christmas and it arrived the day before we left for our trip! So for dinner I made low fat roasted garlic-onion dip with cut up broccoli, carrots and red pepper, pretzels, baked tortilla chips, Napa Valley stone ground mustard (which I love, in case you are looking for a mild, creamy new mustard) jarlsberg cheese, a few slices of salami and apple and orange slices. Oh a bottle of sparkling cider. We feasted! Here's a picture:

7. Then we fell asleep, snuggled up like three bugs in a rug and slept all night long. Eric and Clover are still sleeping! Time for me to read my new book!

Mmm, vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment