Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Five things I am grateful for today

1. Roofrauff and I took a walk at sunset through the neighborhood, we walked further east than we have gone before. As we walked everyone who drove by waved at us and there were at least 8 other people walking their dogs. Best of all as we were walking I heard a voice ask, "do you want some lettuce?" I looked around wondering if this might be God or Santa Claus. Turned out it was an older man named Tom with an awesome garden. He gave me two huge heads of green leaf lettuce and told me to come back often, two weeks until his very special tomatoes are ripe--months ahead of the other ones he grows. He also grows chard, onions, beans, peppers, and has fruit trees. Guess who is having a big ol' salad for dinner? Tom's family. Oh, and I am too.

2. Last night I made the most successful cheese sauce so far. I think the difference was that I cooked it slowly enough and also added a couple tablespoons of light cream cheese. I was so happy it turned out well because I had some reduced fat pre-grated cheese that I found on sale and wasn't quite sure what to do with. Anyway, at the last minute I threw in a couple of tomatoes and two handfuls of canned green chiles. It turned out great! We had it over brown rice pasta, which we both thought was delicious!

3. The nightstand is spray painted brown now. Tonight I think I will be painting the tree on it.

4. Regina is coming over tomorrow! I am planning to make this vegan lasagna for us to eat, plus a salad with the lovely green leaf lettuce. Yippee! I am excited to see her!

5. The orange trees are all blooming right now, walking down the street you can smell their intoxicating scent. Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment