Thursday, October 1, 2009

First day

Today I went for my first home health visit and am feeling really happy about all of it. I am being trained by a nurse named Sharon, she is in her 60's and has been a nurse forever. In this case that means that she knows what she's doing while still feels very inspired to help people as much as she can. She was very optimistic that I have found my home in healthcare and feels that it is her job to welcome me, train me really well, and make sure that I want to stay. Wow, how NICE! In the 12 years that she has worked there they have only had one Spanish speaking RN and she left awhile back. She said that they have to treat me like the commodity that I am--I thought that I was surely dreaming.

So for today's training we drove to a trailer park on the west side of town to open a case--a case that will be MINE! My first home health patient! Eeee! He has a wound that is not healing--his whole calf that involves applying xeroform, covering it kerlex, and then ace bandage. Apart from that it is my job to make sure that he complies with his non-weight bearing status and doesn't smoke. (smoking inhibits blood flow=prevents good healing) So I will be doing this dressing change daily (except while I finish up with St. Joe's/or want a day off). Also every patient has a full assessment and vitals taken at each visit. Tomorrow I go see him by myself!

Speaking of St. Joe's, I spoke with my manager yesterday and she said that there needs to be a 3 month period between a seasonal contract ending and a per diem contract beginning. Looks like I won't be working in the hospital at all anymore. I thought I would feel disappointed but all I feel is liberated. Time to start something new. I have high hopes for this new job and the new life that will hopefully come with it. It does not seem like a high stress position at all. It seems complicated and really challenging, but not stressful. Filled with gladness.

No comments:

Post a Comment