Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Five plus two things I am grateful for today:

1. That it's almost over. Bring on the jammies, flossing, brushing and zzz's.
2. Today one of the clerks came in on her day off because she knew today was my last full day and she brought me cookies from a local bakery. Three big cookies to celebrate. How very kind. It feels good to be recognized and cared about. Every once in a while I meet someone and they inspire me in a profound way--Catie is one of those people. The way she asks questions of those around her makes them blossom--she really cares about people's details, and watching them respond to her makes me want to be a better listener, less self-involved, and to slow down a little. She is neat, I hope we get to be friends in real life.
3. I think I am going to have a home health patient within 5 minutes of my house! (If all these patients work out, then I will have a total of 4.) It turns out that we have around 6 full time nurses working for my agency--the Tucson office has been open 20 years, and is still run by the lady who opened it. But it is a surprisingly small team.
4. Today at work I think I actually might have made a small difference. I taught my patient in depth about the importance of protecting herself from cooties because she is on high dose steroid therapy. No one had taught her about this in a way that reached her--and I watched the light bulb go off as I gave her ideas of how she could involve her 10 year old son in helping to protect Mama/the importance of VERY frequent hand washing, and not taking care of sick people, even if they are loved ones this season. It was pretty cool.
5. I talked to Mom and Dad on the phone tonight, they both sounded really good.
6. Wendy got the job in Seattle!
7. I am done setting an alarm. I am done with 12 hour shifts. DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment